Eating disorder treatment:
Eating disorder treatment, including treatment for anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, is treatment of serious mental health disorders which can affect children, teens, women and men. The core of the disorder may be different by age or gender (weight loss vs. body shape), but the resulting symptoms are often similar. Untreated, eating disorders can lead to serious medical conditions.
Call 800-767-4411 to talk to a specialist or request a free screening online
I was very impressed with the quality of treatment of my referred client. The staff was highly attentive to the client and family needs and very forth coming in continuously providing input and aftercare follow-up. I would highly recommend Rogers to others.
While the assessment of the need for eating disorder treatment is best conducted by a professional, some of the most common indicators are:
- Preoccupation with weight, food and dieting
- Undue concerns related to body mass index (BMI), or body image
- Use of laxatives, diuretics or enemas
- Repeated attempts to please others
- Perceived lack of control over life
- Indications of frequent vomiting
- Low self-esteem and depression
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Dramatic weight fluctuations
- Compulsive exercising
There are also physiological complications:
- Swelling of ankles and feet
- Erosion of tooth enamel
- Low body temperature
- Swollen salivary glands
- Dry skin, rashes
- Amenorrhea (lack of menstrual cycle)
The earlier treatment for eating disorders is sought, the better chance an individual has for long-term recovery from an eating disorder. Visit the Eating Disorders Center for more information about the residential eating disorder treatment program.